Tuesday, October 21, 2014

PirateMyke's TGC Store Products

PirateMyke is another prolific The Game Creators/FPS Creator developer.  He's probably logged hundreds, possibly thousands of hours into creating assets for just Reloaded, let alone the previous incarnation of FPS Creator.

PirateMyke's store: http://en.tgcstore.net/?md=artist-view&aid=126323&page=1

His youtube channel has a good amount of walkthroughs for his store items and is also worth a look: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm12bBEndLKBxECbFJLBrpg

Myke has a significant amount of well priced packs.  Texture quality is a little low, but implements well when actually used in game.   This should improve as the lighting system in 1.0090 helps provide pre-baked shadows, occlusion, etc.

4 packs, all quite affordable and all very useful.

Some of his models, while textured well have a curiously large amount of polygons for such simple models:

Take for instance this very nice stove - comes in at 2154 polys.

Note the stove, which is excellent, and it's oddly high poly count.  Also note the texturing on the walls.  While acceptable, it's not my taste.  Strangely, Myke's proficiency in texturing seems to be less in walls and more in small objects.  Take for instance this amazing table:

Eye-poppingly beautiful, IMO.  

And then compare against this simplistic (not a negative, just very different) kitchen island:

It's like they were made by two different developers, honestly.

When I first evaluated PirateMyke's products, I wrote up a draft and realized I couldn't pick a single product to recommend.  I like his stuff, truly, but there was a glaring omission which I felt needed to be addressed before continuing.  So I contacted him and gave him what I felt was constructive criticism.

He responded, and then some.  Which leads us to my choice for his best item.

What is the one item I could not live without:  The Patio Pack 1.  You see, prior to this writing there was no such thing as a patio pack.  There were, however, a significant number of equally impressive patio items which I couldn't choose a victor from.  They all were just.. so good.   So I asked Myke if he'd consider making them into a bundle.  He did one better.  He made a whole new pack of patio items... and flooring... and gardening.   Honestly it's an incredible amount of work when all I asked for was a simple bundle on the store.  I'm flattered he'd take my suggestion so seriously.

There's more potential here than this pic lets on.

Now admittedly in a forum thread he's advised he did use some free models to help build this, but even still it's a tremendous body of work and is priced to sell at 500 points.


The bottom line:  Art style is different but certain pieces which are vital of form and function.  His pieces are effective and functional and can find a home easily in a great many settings.

If this post was helpful for you, please feel free to comment and share it with others.  I welcome all constructive criticism.  If you'd like your products reviewed, leave a comment below and a link to your game creators store.


No comments:

Post a Comment